The Docs In Progress Fellowship gives up to ten DC-area filmmakers each year a facilitated support system for them to develop new documentaries.
Over the eight months of each Fellowship cohort, Docs In Progress provides selected filmmakers monthly facilitated meetings where they come together to share progress with their projects and get feedback and advice on issues related to the documentary landscape, work/life balance, and the creative process.
Benefits to Fellows include:
- Accountability: By setting realistic goals for progress and having monthly check-in sessions with the facilitator and other participants, Fellows are more likely to make significant progress with their films than going it alone.
- Expertise from seasoned documentary industry professionals who come as guest presenters on topics ranging from work/life balance to time management to getting control of your story.
- A professional development voucher which can be applied to a one-day or one-evening Docs In Progress program during the course of their Fellowship. This could be used towards registration for a one day or one night workshop or Peer Pitch.
- A 60-minute consultation with Executive Director Erica Ginsberg about their work-in-progress. This may focus on mentoring to help get a project ready to apply for a work-in-progress screening, Fiscal Sponsorship, or on questions related to structural development, fundraising, or outreach.
- Featured as a Fellow on the Docs In Progress website, including a photo and information about the work-in-progress.
- Exclusive networking opportunities with past Fellows as part of our larger Fellowship network.
There is no fee to apply. However, you must either be a current member of the Docs Insiders Program at least at the Basic Level or be an alumni of another Docs In Progress program (class, workshop, Peer Pitch, or have presented a work-in-progress at a Docs In Progress screening or Roundtable).
If accepted into the Fellowship Program, Fellows must commit to attending at least 80% of the monthly cohort meetings and paying a participation fee is $500. The fee includes eight monthly Fellowship Cohort meetings (see schedule below), one 60 minute one-on-one consultation with the Docs In Progress Executive Director, and a voucher which can be applied towards another Docs In Progress single-day or single-evening professional development program or workshop during the year. Fellows will also be spotlighted on the Docs In Progress website and will receive added consideration for work-in-progress screenings.
Schedule of 2016 Cohort Meetings
Cohort meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month from 7:00 – 10:00 pm at Docs In Progress in downtown Silver Spring, MD (except when there is a holiday conflict). Accepted Fellows must commit to attending at least 80% of these meetings in person since they form the core of the Fellowship Program (that means you may miss only one meeting). The cohort meetings are scheduled on the following dates for the 2016 Fellows: February 2, March 1, April 5, May 3, June 7, July 5, August 2, and September 6.
How to Apply
The online application should take about 20-30 minutes to complete. In addition to standard questions about you and your project, you will be asked the following questions:
Other than funding, what are the biggest challenges you have faced or are currently facing with regards to your work-in-progress?
What experience have you had giving or getting feedback from peers (whether within the film world or in another discipline)?
How would the Docs In Progress Fellowship be beneficial to you moving forward with your project and your artistic career?
You will also be asked to attach a bio, photo, and an optional proposal.
The 2016 deadline has passed. We will be announcing a call for applications for the 2017 Fellowship by December 2016.
Want to know more?
We held an information session by phone with the Docs In Progress Executive Director and former Fellows. If you would like to listen to the recording, simply call 712-432-1219. You will be asked for the Meeting ID which is 250-284-548 and the Reference Number which is 2. The recording is approximately 40 minutes.