The Docs In Progress Fellowship gives filmmakers each year
a facilitated support system for them to develop new documentaries.
Since 2013, the Docs In Progress Fellowship provides selected filmmakers monthly facilitated meetings where they come together to share progress with their projects and receive feedback and advice on issues related to the documentary landscape, work/life balance, and the creative process. Filmmakers based anywhere in the US are welcome to apply. Starting in 2020, Docs moved the Fellowship Program to a virtual world, opening the program to a more diverse set of filmmakers.
The Docs In Progress fellowship experience includes:
- Accountability: By setting realistic goals for progress and having monthly check-in sessions with the facilitator and other participants, Fellows are more likely to make significant progress with their films than going it alone.
- Expertise from seasoned documentary industry professionals who come as guest presenters on topics ranging from impact producing to getting control of your story to editing.
- Exclusive networking opportunities with past Fellows as part of our larger Fellowship network.
- All in a safe zone where constructive advice and feedback is fostered.
Other Benefits for Fellows:
- Eight monthly Fellowship Cohort meetings (see schedule below).
- A professional development voucher which can be applied to a one-day or one-evening Docs In Progress program during the course of their Fellowship.
- A 60-minute consultation with Docs In Progress about their work-in-progress. The consultation can focus on mentoring, assistance getting a project ready for a work-in-progress screening, Fiscal Sponsorship, or questions related to structural development, fundraising, or outreach. A Docs expert will be assigned depending upon the fellow's need.
- Featured as a Fellow on the Docs In Progress website, including a photo and information about their work-in-progress
- Fellows will also be spotlighted on the Docs In Progress website, will receive added consideration for work-in-progress screenings, and will be eligible to join our Alumni Fellows network at the conclusion of the Fellowship.